a1200 keyboard issue - non working keys

a1200 keyboard issue - non working keys

Postby Blatboy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Hey there - I've no picked up two new membranes for my a1200, and I have the same issue...which logically means that the issue isn't the membrane...

All the keys work except the left-shift, left-alt, and ctrl. Seems they are all on a similar matrix and go to the penultimate pin on the right of the ribbon cable. Have tried cleaning the connector as well as I can. Next step might be to look at the bottom of the motherboard and be sure all the pins look good. Perhaps I need a new keyboard connector on the motherboard?

However, if this is a common problem, (I have seen it mentioned before in passing) I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has come across a solution, or any other ideas.

Thanks.
Blatboy

Re: a1200 keyboard issue - non working keys

Postby rwap_software » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:05 am

As the supplier of brand new A1200 Keyboard Membranes, it sounds as though it could be a problem with the connector, although I am not an expert when it comes to the A1200 itself.

Often, when specific keys do not work it is because the plunger on the back of the key is actually worn - sometimes a clean can rectify this - but if not, try swapping the plunger with one from a working key to rule that out as the issue. It could also be that the screws on the back plate are not tightening properly in the problematic area.

You could try resoldering the connector - new ones are still available from Digikey I believe.
rwap_software

Return to Retro Computers